Sunday, July 14, 2013

Birthday Season - and other assorted ponderings

Yesterday was the start of Birthday season. Stacy turned 31 yesterday, my birthday is next week, then we have Kaj and Nicky, then Eric and Brian. I hope I didn't forget anybody ... too many to keep track.

Yesterday turned out to be a pretty nice day with high temps around 80 and reasonable humidity. Perfect Maine day for a Birthday BBQ at the Johansen House in Richmond. Here's a pic of the birthday girl with Taylor Anne and new cousin Sophie Ann. What a gorgeous threesome!

"Stuff Floating Around in Mikee's Head"

So ... the stock market is back up after a recent drop and gas prices are starting to shoot up as well. Locally, the price of a gallon of regular gas has increased right around $0.25 a gallon in three days. Does that mean people are figuring the economy is improving then they are driving more and because of the supply-demand thing then the price of gas goes up? Or perhaps the gas station owners are anticipating that attitude by drivers and are raising their prices because they can? Or is the more likely scenario that the outlook for Chinese manufacturing is up ... so the oil companies will be anticipating more sales to China ... so they will be charging more for refined gas in a few weeks ... so the local gas station has to make more profit on the gas he has today to make up for the lower profit he will make in a few weeks? Or is it because the station across the street raised his prices ... so I will too? I suspect the later.

And then there is the big hoopla surrounding the George Zimmerman trial down in Florida. "Who cares?" you ask! Well apparently we all care because it's the lead story in all the news media. The question isn't whether or not he's innocent of a crime - the question is whether or not the media can create enough hatred among enough folks on both sides to create further violence. I'm hopeful that the media fails --- again!

I'm trying desperately to get excited about Obamacare. I'm not sure why .... but I understand that the big push is on to make me excited. Or is it? As I understand the present situation ... the government's goal is to get 7 million young people, who presently do not have health insurance, to start getting health insurance coverage. Now these 7 million kids presently don't have insurance because they can't afford it ... and the government wants them to buy it because they don't need it ... therefore the insurance companies will make more money by insuring them so they won't mind losing money on the new mandated coverages for everybody. And because the 7 million kids still can't afford the insurance - we taxpayers are going to pay for it through a number of increased taxes. Yup - I can see where this is going to work well! I remain in the camp with those that realize that Obamacare was meant to fail so that we will embrace government controlled socialized health care in a few years. Yes indeed - death by a thousand cuts!

Oh yeah --- Happy Birthday Darrell --- Welcome to Birthday Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment