Back when I was young ... and not so foolish ... I married my childhood sweetheart -- 43 years ago yesterday.
Peggy and I were both 20 years old, I had had joined the Navy 6 months prior, and we were in love - although we weren't really sure what that was.
Now here we are -- 43 years later. Still married and still in love - with a much better understanding of what that is.
We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary yesterday by taking an "US" day. We started off with lunch at my favorite taco joint chain - "Jimboy's." When I heard that they had a Jimboy's in Carson City I knew I had to go visit at least once. You just can't beat a Jimboy's original style taco. Real corn tortilla - lightly fried - ground beef filling - with grated Parmesan cheese on the outside of the tortilla. Yum -- Yum!
With a tummy full of Tacos we continued our US day by taking about a 20 mile or so drive up into the mountains - through Silver City and Gold Hill to the famous site of the Comstock Lode in Virginia City. Back in the late 1860s and early 1870s this area was a big producer of gold and silver in the US and you can still see evidence of all that mining activity today. In fact they are still pulling precious metals out of that ground!
Downtown Virginia City is definitely a throwback to those boomtown days with its wooden sidewalks, saloons, mansions paid for in gold dust and even a good guy-bad guy shootout at 1 PM.
Samuel Clements also got his start here - writing for the Territorial Enterprise under the name Mark Twain for the first time.
Peggy and I wandered around town for a few hours - taking in the gunfight, having a drink at the Bucket of Blood Saloon, checking out a few of the shops along the main drag, and then robbing a bank before heading back towards Carson City.
We finished our US day with a very nice dinner out at Soletti's Restaurant in Gardnerville. We both had the "Early Dinner" special Veal Scallopini and gave it two thumbs up.
A great day with a great wife. I told you I was no fool!




happy anniversary to you both!!! Cheers to many more years of wedded bliss!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sue & Doug!
DeleteHappy Anniversary to you and Peggy!!! Wishing you guys many more years of wonderful times together making awesome memories!! Looks like you both did pretty well for yourselves!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!
Thanks Mike & Gerri. We had a great day
Delete