After putting another w*rk week behind me, this time a four-day-40-hour week, Peggy and I dove home to Maine yesterday. We managed to turn a 5 1/2 hour trip into a 7 hour trip by stopping for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Clifton Park, NY, stopping for fuel/coffee/stretch in Ludlow, MA, stopping for lunch at the most northeast Cracker Barrel in the country in Massachusetts on I-495, and then one more stop for another stretch/drink in Kennebunk, ME. All these stops and more traffic than I like along I-495 made for a long driving day.
So today is chore day as I tend to mowing the lawn, washing the car, and maybe I'll even sneak in a haircut. Tomorrow it will be back to NY for another week for me while Peggy tends to some appointments she needs to take care of here at home. Then we'll do it all over again next weekend - only this time Peggy will make the trip back with me for another couple of weeks in NY.
So now that you've been w*rking again for a couple of months Mikee - whaddaya think?
Well - for a young fella getting started in life and needing to start providing for a family, and for a bit older fella needing to keep that family in a house and providing food, clothes, toys, and college - working for a living is a definite necessity. For a retired guy - w*rk is OK as a means to keep you busy and outa trouble, and if they pay you as well, then you get the bonus of being able to stretch those retirement funds a bit longer. But other than that - w*rk is waay overrated. I made a commitment to these folks when I agreed to take this job - and I'll certainly try and make good on that commitment - but I'll be glad to go back to the good ol days (back in June) when I slept in clear to 7:30, got a leisurely start to my day, and just needed to make sure the Winne was parked by around 3:30 for martini time.
Isn't it amazing how your priorities can change over time and circumstance.
By the way - after finishing her chemotherapy and radiation treatments a month or so ago Nan took a little vacation in Nevada at my sister Marcie's place where she spent several days paying her Nevada State Taxes in the local casinos. After all that excitement she made the trip back to California to go through another 3 weeks of radiation treatments to her brain. Although all her post treatment scans have been very positive - she took her doctors advice and is undergoing these latest treatments as a precautionary measure. Hang in there Nan - only one more week to go!
Great news about Nan... know you guys have a good feeling about that!
ReplyDeleteWork isn't all that bad, it's a means to and end and is sometimes a necessity. I guess it could be worse. Glad to hear Peggy will going back with you to make for a better week.
You guys take care and be safe.
Mike & Gerri
Glad to hear Nan's prognosis is good. See you guys next Friday (probably see Peggy on Thursday).
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear the good news about Nan. I know your hearts are more at ease as well. Hugs to ya!
ReplyDeleteAnd once the treatments are done, Nan will be returning with me to pay more taxes! Actually, I think it's about time she get some dividends, don't ya think???
ReplyDelete