It has been a pretty quiet week - finished with the backyard lawn repair - a couple of cruises in the Chevelle - and more Chevelle modifications. That pretty much sums up my week. This probably sounds kinda boring to many of you but I've sorta missed driving and tinkering on the Chevelle these past couple of summers. With all of our travel the last two summers - and then going back to work last year for part of the summer - the Chevelle has only been driven about 200 miles total in two years!
OK - I admit it - I'm a "car nut" or "motor head" or whatever other automobile enthusiast descriptor you want to come up with. I think it was part of my DNA from birth but was strengthened by growing up in California in the 50s/60s. Although I appreciate the newer technology and comfort in todays automobiles, I still find it fun to drive my 1965 Chevelle. Back when these cars were built you had to really DRIVE them. Especially if you got the "standard" versions with no air conditioning, no power steering, no power brakes, no radio (or an AM only radio at best), and a manual transmission. I challenge you to find a car today without all of these "modern conveniences."
Now before I go much further I have to "fess up." While my Chevelle did originally have an automatic transmission and factory air conditioning - I have also modified a few things over the years to "improve the experience." It didn't take long at all to upgrade to power brakes and steering, and while I was at it I might as well upgrade to disc brakes up front, a faster ratio steering box, and electronic ignition - right? Then there was the "Tunes" issue. That original AM/FM radio in the dash sure is a highly sought after option for this year make and model - but the non-stereo tinny audio left a bit to be desired - so the modern AM/FM/CD Player was added inside the glovebox and an automatic power antenna was added on the rear fender. If you are going to cruise to the sounds of the Beach Boys - it might as well be in Stereo and be coming from a CD. OK now I'm all set - I can pull into the local drive-in with my sweetie and listen to some quality tunes - but what about a semi-long trip? Whaddaya mean there's no cruise control? My ankle hurts from having to keep pushing on the accelerator! Alrighty then ... might as well add an aftermarket electronic cruise control system!
As you can see my Chevelle is exacty that - Mine! When folks ask me if it's "stock" - I like to tell them "it's built the way GM should have made it." Or perhaps more accurately - "It's built the way I would have built it back in 60s - assuming I had the money - which I didn't."
As for this week's modification - how about an electric fuel pump in series with the original equipment mechanical pump? Why would you do that? Well - I could go into a long technical explanation of how the modern "reformulated" gasoline evaporates faster than the old stuff making the car harder to start ... but the truth is ... because I'm a Hot Rodder at heart - always looking to make it "better." Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't. But how are you going to know for sure unless you try!
With that ... I leave you with the Possum Lodge Man's Prayer - it kinda sums up my week;
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
No comments:
Post a Comment