Wednesday, September 14, 2011

'Bama BBQ in Brunswick (Maine)!?

After two days of rubbing and buffing - half of Winne is waxed. I don't quite understand how - but somehow Winne's outside has gotten larger while the inside space has remained the same! It probably isn't so - but it sure seems that way when waxing and buffing all day! Then maybe  ... I'm just getting tireder and sorer easier (I doubt either of those were real words but you get the picture).

After getting cleaned up from my Winne Waxing chore I thought I would read the on-line edition of our local newspaper to see what was happening out in the world. It didn't take long to find out that the world is pretty much just the same today as it was yesterday. Except for one article that just hit me as a sign of the times we live in!

It seems that a resident of the nearby small town of Richmond was the victim of a burglary last Friday night. Now that by itself isn't that odd - but it seems that the stolen items were 5 very large (reportedly 10 to 15 feet tall) marijuana plants that he was growing in his yard. You see a few years ago the good 'ol State of Maine passed a "medical" marijuana law and that law made it legal for folks to cultivate plants in this quantity for their own "medicinal" use - as long as they received a permit to do so. Well - it seems this fella was a licensed grower so here we have a situation where the local cops who spend countless hours dealing with illegal possession of marijuana - including illegal growing of marijuana - must now try to find this poor fella's missing marijuana and return it to him. I know I'm old fashioned and too conservative for my own good - but something just doesn't seem right with this story!

So after pondering that article for a bit while drinking my perfectly legal, very dry, and slightly dirty martini - I went on to read about a couple who have just opened a southern style BBQ joint in an empty store in Brunswick. Now I'm pretty partial to good BBQ so I read on with more interest. It seems this couple are from Foley, Alabama, used to have a BBQ restaurant and catering business down there, and decided to try their hand at selling southern BBQ in Lobsterland.

Well how about that! As all ya'll may know - Peggy and I have tended to spend several weeks each of the past few winters down in Lower Alabama - and really enjoy some of the local food down there. So when I mentioned the new place to Peggy - she took the opportunity to not make dinner and suggested we go try the new place - "Sista's BBQ." Peggy tried the Sista's Sandwich consisting of pulled pork with cole slaw on top in between two corn bread pancakes and a side of BBQ Beans. I went with the "Sampler" to try it all - BBQ ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and some sliced beef with potato salad and beans on the side. Yum-Yum - I think we may have found a new favorite BBQ place - right here in Brunswick, Maine! It was all really good - but I thought the BBQ beans, potato salad, and ribs were especially good!

When I placed the order I asked the fellow taking the order (I think it was Sista's brother) if they were going to be open all winter - he thought for a minute and then replied that it depended on how many folks wanted BBQ in the winter in Maine. I replied that I thought that made sense - but my plan was to head south that time of year and get southern BBQ - in the south! It will be interesting to see how they make out with their business. As long as we are here - I plan on helping them out frequently.

1 comment:

  1. wax on wax off!!..have a great day!!!..just think of the muscles you are building!!

    ReplyDelete