Peggy and I have been here in the "Bay Area" now for two weeks. My how time flies when you are busy.
My sister Jamie has been down here almost continually for three months supporting her daughter Decky and grandson Derek in his post surgery rehab. So it's no wonder that she needed a break and a trip back home to Yreka to rescue Ernie from having to feed himself and to get ready for visitors from Germany. The exchange student they hosted last school year, Kiki, and her parents arrived in the US last week and will be visiting in Yreka this weekend. Well the plan was for Peggy and I to drive Jamie up to Red Bluff (about 200 miles from here) on Tuesday and transfer Jamie to a friend - who would then drive her up to Mt. Shasta and transfer her to Ernie for the trip home - just like the Pony Express! Good plan ... but it needed some modification when we saw the weather report on Monday that called for heavy rains and strong winds for pretty much all of central and northern California for Tuesday. It seems the west coast was to get hit by the remnants of some distant super-cyclone (I think that's like a hurricane for us east coasters). So after we woke up on Monday - we decided on short notice to head north. The drive to Red Bluff was pretty uneventful except for the heavy smoke up in the valley where they were burning crop stubble. I know that a large portion of the nations food supply comes from the rich soil in the Central Valley of California - and I know that the farmers burn the crop remnants after a harvest to richen the soil, but man does it smoke up the valley when they do. So Peggy and I transferred our cargo in Red Bluff and made the trip back here to Oakland - with a stop at Camping World in Vacaville to purchase a couple of RV related items in between. Peggy and I will act as Decky's back-up for the next week until Jamie's return.
And it was a good thing we made that trip on Monday because it was some miserable weather-wise here yesterday! The winds were up around 40 mph at times and we got about 3 or so inches of rain. That would not have been fun to drive 400 miles in! As it was was - my other sister Marcie and her husband Don drove down here from Nevada yesterday in that mess. They have some business nearby in Santa Clara this weekend and they stopped by to see Derek yesterday afternoon. So we played some cards with Derek (he continues to win!) and then Marcie and Don and Peggy and I had dinner at La Pinata - the pretty good local Mexican restaraunt.
Oh yeah - and to top it off I hear that we had an earthquake here last evening (neither of us felt it although the center was pretty close to here?). "Only" a 3.8! ... and near the 20th anniversary of the relatively big one they had here on October 17, 1989 (the "Loma Prieta" earthquake which was a 7.1 magnitude). Ah the peace and tranquility of the Golden State!
Like I said - time has been flying by!
Today the weather is much nicer and the sun is back out. Peggy and I have to leave this RV Park for a few nights next week (Park rules unless you go through a background check and pay a deposit - I assume they are trying to avoid California laws limiting their ability to evict deadbeat tenants) so I think we may checkout a nearby state park to see if it will work for a short stay next week - before we head over to the hospital for our daily visit.
Meanwhile ... we keep watching time fly.
No comments:
Post a Comment