Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Losing $$ in Oakland

Well I raised the stakes - but I'm falling further behind! I even tried changing games to Texas Hold 'Em but Derek keeps winning.


Peggy and I have spent the last couple of days taking care of chores like doing a little grocery shopping, doing some laundry, washing 3400 miles of dirt off the rig and the car, and stuff like that. We have also been active in our hospital support role by preparing some meals for Decky/Jamie and spending our afternoons at the hospital with Derek/Decky/Jamie. Decky has completed enough of her training and yesterday we got to take Derek out of his room and down to the cafeteria without a nurse or respiratory therapist (RT). Considering that Derek is still on a ventilator and was also hooked up to a feeding tube at the time - it was a pretty great accomplishment. We all pitched in and managed to get Derek and all his gadgets down a couple of stories and back up again with no major issues. Derek is pretty busy every day with his therapies and is gaining capabilities very slowly but I think steadily. Everybody is hopeful he may be able to leave here and head back home to Redding around the end of the month. Today he is scheduled for a CAT scan to check how is left lung is doing. All thoughts and prayers for a good result are appreciated.

It's hard to believe but we have been here in San Leandro for a week already. We have been so busy with our support activities and our Anniversary jaunt to SF - I have been delinquent in getting the oh-so-important mid-trip statistics published! So here goes ...

Miles traveled from Topsham to San Leandro - 3,400 (Pretty close to Coast-To-Coast)
Travel Days - 11
Back-To-Back travel days - 11 (Peggy really doesn't like that part!)
Gallons of Gas - 477 Gallons
Average Gas Price/Gallon - $2.54 (Waaay better than last year's trip @ $3.74/Gallon)
Cheapest Gas - $2.37 per gallon in Clive, IA
Most Expensive Gas - $2.77 in Winnemucca, NV (But I haven't had to fill up (the Winny) in CA - Gas is closer to $3.00 / gallon here in the bay area.

Hours of Motorhome Breakdown - 0 (I like this part the best - the Winnebago chassis/drivetrain has performed super so far this trip. We have had a few minor issues like leveling jacks that didn't want to work right, a couch that didn't want to fold down to a bed correctly, and a fresh water leak that needed repair - but those things were all able to be corrected with no $$ and little hassle. If you're going to be an RV'er you need to carry a few tools and have some "handyman" skills.

We hope everbody is having a great day - Happy 3rd Anniversary Eric & Jen !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment