Our last day or so has been filled with food and fun visits. Dinner with Peggy's sister Vick on Wednesday night, Lunch with sister Terry on Thursday afternoon, lunch with sisters Terry and Robyn and their daughters (respectively) Samantha and Scarlet today and then a dinner out planned for this evening with Marcie's daughter Carin, her son Zach, and Carin's dad Pat. Fill that in with a couple of meals out on our own at Jimboys Tacos (my favorite tacos of all time) and we have pretty much been out for every afternoon and evening meal for 3 days! That Peggy really knows how to have a birthday celebration week!
We did take a few hours yesterday to go play tourist. We drove into downtown Sacramento, parked in a parking garage near the Capital, and then walked through the capital grounds to the "Golden State Museum." Neither of us had ever been to this museum before so we thought we would give it a try. The museum had a few interesting exhibits but all-in-all I would rate it pretty low on my fun museum list. I suppose if I were more supportive of left wing progressive politics I would have enjoyed it more ... but then again ... this is California after all.
We did enjoy our walks through the Capital grounds. California does have a very beautiful Capital building and the grounds are very nice as well. The last time I visited here was in 1968 when I was a bystander in the "Peoples Park" Protest Rally. Now that was a wild scene! Anybody out there know what/where the "Peoples Park" was? How about who was governor of California in those days?
We did have a special treat this morning. It seems that the Space Shuttle Endeavor is about to be put on display somewhere down in southern California and is in the process of being delivered. As a PR stunt NASA decided to waste some fuel and fly the Shuttle around the state first so lots of people could take a look at the shuttle mounted on top of its 747 mother ship. This morning around 10:00 AM the Endeavor, its mother ship, and a fighter escort made a couple of low passes over the Capital building and we got a pretty good view from here at the RV Park.
It was nice to see the sight ... but I can't help but wonder how many traffic accidents happened as folks pulled over on the freeways to get out their cell phones to snap a few pictures!?
Tomorrow we plan on hitting the road again with a planned destination of near Merced, CA. We still have one more of Peggy's sisters to look up and she happens to live down there.
And I suppose there will be one more "birthday" meal as well. This truly is a tough job - but I'm up to the challenge.
Just to let you know that we are tagging along. Neat picture of the shuttle.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm . . . 1968. Yeah, I was only TEN years old, so . . . :)
ReplyDelete