Today was genealogy day. Peggy and I started the day by finding Pilot Butte Cemetery here in Bend and then quickly were able to find the graves of my Great Grandfather, William and his wife Carrie and two sons, Ernest and Harry. Considering I had never been there before and considering that Carrie, Harry, and Ernest were buried in 1919 (William in 1928) - I was pretty surprised that I was able to find the sites right off! The city of Bend maintains this cemetery and it is in very nice condition.
We then found the local historical society which is housed in the old schoolhouse built in 1914. They have a lot of interesting displays, some very helpful employees/volunteers, and a fantastic research area where we were able to find several mentions of my grandfather and his family living in and around the bend area from about 1908 and into the 1940s. After spending several hours in the books and looking at the displays we drove about 30 miles south to the small town of La Pine where my Great Grandparents had a 160 acre homestead in the early 1900s and my grandfather and grandmother lived in small logging camps in the 1920s and 1930s. We happened by the local library where we stopped in and asked if they had any local history info. They did have a book on the pioneers of the La Pine area which I took a look at and lo and behold - my grandmother and her family were mentioned in the book! Fortunately the book was available for sale so I was able to purchase a copy.It certainly is amazing what one can come across on such an adventure.

Although I could spend many more days here in Bend searching for my "roots" I think I'll save some for another day and another trip. Tomorrow we are off to see Crater Lake. Peg and I have been to Crater Lake many years ago (1979 I think) and I remember it being really beautiful - so tomorrow we plan on a short travel day of about 90 miles and a tour of the lake.



Man, Ernest and Harry died in thier early 30's! How did they die? I'm going to go have a salad and go for a run!
ReplyDeleteThank goodness i'm not 30 yet - and that goodness for modern medicine.
ReplyDeleteVery cool Dad - very cool. See you guys in a week!!!!!!