During our stay here at the Rainbow Plantation I have been asked a few times – “Are you a fulltimer?” I guess I’m not sure. On one hand – my heart has been beating full-time for many years now, I try and enjoy life on a full-time basis, and I have full-time obligations – like paying bills. On the other hand – Peggy and I only sleep in our RV on a part-time basis so to these “fulltimers” I guess we are part-timers. We are learning to be “snowbirds” but we haven’t done a real good job “flying” away from the cold so we definitely aren’t “coldbirds” yet. Then there are “Winter Texans” who spend their winters in Texas and these folks are not to be confused with all the “fulltimers” who claim Texas as their domicile (thus minimizing their taxes and vehicle registration fees) but seldom ever enter the state (republic) of Texas. As you can see - these labels can be confusing to the uninitiated.
And then there is the question – “are you retired?” Well I suppose I am – but I’m not sure. I don’t receive, nor am I eligible to receive, a Social Security check from the government and I don’t receive a “retirement” check from a previous employer so maybe I’m not. But I haven’t worked for wages in almost two years and I do receive subsidized health insurance from a previous employer – so maybe I am. But I get offers to go back to work periodically and I look at them seriously so maybe I’m not. But just as often as not I turn them down – partially because working would interfere with my present “lifestyle” – so maybe I am.
And they say adolescence is a difficult time of life!
Mike,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post! The best label to have is one that says you are happy and content with your life. Whether fulltime/ part time or no time. Working or not working, being content internally is the goal of all people, so label as they will.. label yourself content!
Well, whatever you decide to call yourself, we're just glad that we've been able to call you friends, now! And I echo what Mike & Gerri said above - don't matter "what" you are, long as you're content with it! :)
ReplyDelete