Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ranting In Alabama - Summerdale, AL

Well it is warming up a little. I think it made it to the high 50s yesterday and today - and it is supposed to be in the low 60s tomorrow - so we are at least going in the right direction.

Yesterday morning I assisted Darrell with the final touches on his inverter installation and so far it all looks like it is working well. Later, Darrell and I made a Camping World run and I picked up one needed item (replacement water filter) and 2 not-so-needed but gotta-have items. After all, every RVer oughta have an adjustable step stabilizer and a TV antenna signal booster - don'tcha think?

Today we joined about a dozen other Plantation SKPs for lunch at the Roadkill Cafe in Elberta. The Roadkill is an interesting place. They cook up a bunch of food for their buffet in the morning and close the place in the afternoon when the food runs out. Today the buffet offered fried chicken, smoked brisket, smashed potatoes, corn, green beans, corn bread, rolls, and a nice salad bar with ice cream and cake for dessert. All you can eat for $8 each - not a bad deal! You pay on the way out and every patron gets a chance for a free meal by reaching into a bag of poker chips to choose one chip - if you get the red one - your meal is free! Unfortuantely - our luck ran white today.

After lunch Darrell, Judy, Mike & Gerri Jones, and Peggy and I rode over to the nearby Baldwin County Heritage Museum to take a look around and enjoy some of the old stuff on display. An interesting place to spend an hour for the price of only a donation of your liking. We did see some early camelias which were pretty and hopefully a signal that spring may be on the way.

Darrell managed to get a lesson on farming in lower Alabama.

And Mike gave a lesson on the finer points of adjusting seating positions in a Chrysler Minivan.

That pretty much sums up our last couple of days. Sounds pretty repetitive doesn't it? A few little projects here and there, some visiting with friends here and there, eating when not visiting ... the only thing different --- it's getting warmer!!!

I see our president decided today to form a panel to tell Congress how to decrease our deficit. If I would have known he was looking for panel members I would have volunteered. I'm pretty sure I could have helped. Step 1 - Stop dreaming up new ways to spend money. The existing programs are already costing us too much - we sure don't need any more. If you successfully accomplish Step 1 - take a nap and then fire yourself - let the new Congress work on cutting some of the spending you conjured up in the past. Seriously folks - does anybody out there see any possible way to avoid a bankrupt nation within my lifetime? California and a few other states are already there! We cannot borrow/tax our way out of this mess!!!!

STOP SPENDING MONEY WE DON'T HAVE!

OK  - I'm better now.

2 comments:

  1. Mike,I agree that if step one does work to do step 2, but if even if it doesn't work step 2 needs to be taken. So let's bypass step one and get on with step 2.
    Enjoyed your post
    Mike

    ReplyDelete