Friday, January 28, 2011

Home Again - Topsham, ME

Another long day.

Peggy and I arose early this morning, got our act together and were on the road, heading north, around 6:30 AM. Our exit was not without its difficulties as the winter weather in NJ was trying to hold us back. Once I chipped the ice from around three of our four leveling jacks so that they would retract, and unfroze the retract mechanism for our living room slideout topper - we were able to make our exit.

As we did on our trip down to Jerzee - we made the trip home - all 470 miles - in one day. This time of year there aren't really many options and as long as we were coming back - we figured we might as well be home. Fortunately the traffic wasn't too bad and we made the trip without incident.

So the Winne is back in the driveway and Peggy and I are back in the house. Most of our "stuff" is still in the Winne but we'll deal with that tomorrow. We had enough time after we got home to unload the frig and bring a few things inside and that was about it before the sun set and we decided to call it quits. I placed an electric heater in the rig and left the propane heater on although I lowered the setpoint to 60 degrees. Once I get the water system drained again tomorrow, put some pink stuff in the drain traps, and blow out the water lines with air - I'll let the temperature get a little lower inside.

The memorial service for Miss Lou is scheduled for Tuesday. The long range weather forecast has some ugly weather coming on Wednesday with clear skies forecast for Thursday. So our present "plan" is to head south again on Thursday and head directly for Alabama. But then again - all that is a week away - and who knows what might change between now and then!

So in the meantime we will try and stay warm in these single digit temps (some of those digits are forecast to be negative!) and we'll keep Winne somewhat ready to roll. She has performed well so far but she sure needs a good bath. That may be first on the list when we make it to Alabama!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got back safely! We'll be thinking about you all as you say good-bye to a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it back without incident. Dear friends are precious indeed and we commend you for making the trip back to attend Lou's memorial.

    ReplyDelete