I spent most of yesterday working on the Winne. The temps here have been in the teens at night and will be going into the single digits for the next several nights with highs during the days only in the 20s. I really don't want to keep the Winne "warm" inside until we leave again (waay too much propane and/or electricity) but I will leave one electric heater running inside to hopefully keep the inside temp above freezing. So --- to protect the water lines from freeze damage I went through the winterizing process of draining, blowing out with air, and then filling with RV/Marine antifreeze solution.
Once that was accomplished - next on my list was to get the ice/snow off the roof. You may recall that right before we left New Jersey we really got dumped on with about 10 or so inches of heavy wet snow. A good deal of that snow/ice managed to stay on Winne's roof all the way back to Maine. I really didn't like traveling with that snow/ice up there - worried that it would come off in big sheets and damage someones car behind me! I see the big tractor trailer trucks doing that frequently in the winter - and I really don't like following them too closely this time of year. I was really surprised that a 2-3 inch layer managed to stay up there for 470 or so miles! So I carefully (heavy emphasis on the "carefully') crawled up on the roof and cleared off the snow/ice. I know ... it will probably snow some considerable amount before we leave again - but at least the roof is clear for now!
As I mentioned a blog post ago or so ... it looks like the northeast is going to experience yet another snowstorm on Wednesday this week. Thursday is looking pretty good weather-wise so we're planning on leaving then. But then again - I suppose it depends somewhat on how much snow we get on Wednesday and when the snow arrives/quits. The long range forecast looks pretty good for several days after that so I think we have a opportunity-window to get far enough south to escape the snow/ice. If all goes well we should be in Lower Alabama around the 7th or 8th of February.
I see those folks in LA are enjoying some 70 degree weather. Save some for us willya?
We're trying to hold onto it until spring. Hurry, before we lose our grip and have to sit inside at Big Daddy's eating shrimp.
ReplyDelete