Saturday, March 31, 2012

Miles - More Maintenance - More Miles

Time to get caught up on the trials and tribulations of Mikee and Peggy - Maineiacs Trying To Stay In Motion.


We left Montgomery Bell State Park around 9:00 AM and found our way to I-40 to make some miles heading east. We had a pretty uneventful trip until we got a few miles from our planned fuel stop just west of Knoxville. 


It was around 1 PM and the rain was starting to fall. But the rain wasn't our real problem - the miss in Winne's engine when under heavy load was!


I was pretty sure the problem was old deteriorated spark plug wires - made worse by the exhaust leak that we are still living with. This issue combined with the nearby lightning, thunder, followed by heavy rain while refueling pretty much convinced me it was time to call it a day and find a place for the night.


Fortunately, the Escapees Raccoon Valley RV Park was nearby so we nursed Winne along through a few downpours and found us a spot for the night. After getting set up I found a nearby NAPA store that had the spark plug wires Winne needed - so off we went. A few $$ later we had the wires we needed and were back at the RV Park. Peggy made dinner while I replaced all Winne's spark plug wires. Whaddaya think? Which wire serves the cylinder with the exhaust leak?




With our repairs made we settled in for a quiet but rainy night in beautiful Heiskell, TN.


We left Heiskell around 9 AM this morning heading east and then north on I-81. Winne ran much better today. I think she likes having spark to her plugs! 


We finished our looong drive around 3 PM arriving here in Staunton, VA.


Tomorrow we have another 300 mile day planned -- north some more on I-81 then east around Baltimore, into Delaware, over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and on to Clarksboro, NJ for a day or so of visiting with the kids/grandkids.


We'll need a rest after 3 days and about 900 miles of driving!


Look out ya'll --- Maineiacs Heading North!

3 comments:

  1. Glad the spark plug wires seemed to "hit the spot" for Winnie! You guys have safe travels tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad the spark is back for Winnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikee, you are da man! Able to leap bad spark plugs in a single bound! So glad it was an easy fix. Be safe out there. Hugs to you and Peggy.

    ReplyDelete